This recipe is so delicious I can’t even begin to tell you! If you love, love, love Italian food as much as I do you MUST try this recipe! Since eggplant parmesan is typically fried and covered with high fat, high calorie cheeses I decided to lighten it up for guiltless pleasure!
I do recommend using an organic marinara sauce for this recipe as many store bought marinara sauces have tons of sodium, preservatives and added sugar. Organic does cost a little more, but trust me it is worth it and will make your recipe taste sooo much better! I do recommend organic dairy foods as well which are anti-biotic and hormone free, but again are more expensive, so that’s your choice.
1 large eggplant
1 block part skim mozzarella cheese
3/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
1 jar organic marinara sauce
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees. Slice eggplant into 1/2 inch rounds and add salt to both sides. Let eggplant sit on wire rack for 15 minutes in order to release moisture.
- Combine panko bread crumbs and parmesan cheese with black pepper and Italian seasonings on a plate for dredging.
- Mix egg with 1 tbsp. water in a bowl for dredging
- After eggplant has been sitting for 15 minutes rinse under cold water and pat dry.
- Dredge eggplant slices into egg mixture followed by panko and parmesan mixture and place of baking sheet that has been sprayed with olive oil cooking spray. Then spray each eggplant slice with olive cooking spray before baking to help crisp them up in the oven.
- Bake eggplant slices for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown
- Remove eggplant from oven and top Eggplant slices with 2-3 tbsp. organic marinara sauce. Then place one slice of part skim mozzarella cheese over each eggplant slice.
- Return eggplant slices to the oven and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes or until cheese is golden and bubbly.
- Garnish with fresh basil if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
3 slices per serving.
Nutrition facts per serving: 305 calories, 11g fat, 31g carbohydrates, 21g protein, 7g fiber and 40mg cholesterol.
Ciao my lean, svelte community!